Important Information from the Ohio Department of Medicaid
When there is a commercial carrier involved that Ohio Medicaid (or managed care Medicaid – i.e. United Healthcare Community Plan, CareSource, Buckeye, Paramount, etc.) would be the “payer of last resort.” This means that claims for any eligible member or dependent would need to be passed through the primary carrier first and then to Ohio Medicaid.
The eligibility guidelines for both Ohio Medicaid and Managed Care Medicaid are based on federal income poverty guidelines based on the number in the household. The member has to apply for eligibility themselves. This is not something that the employer can do for employees.
Who Qualifies for Coverage?
- Individuals with low income
- Pregnant women, infants, and children
- Older adults
- Individuals with disabilities
To be Eligible for Coverage You Must:
- Be a United States citizen or meet Medicaid citizenship requirements
- Have or get a Social Security Number
- Be an Ohio resident
- Meet financial requirements
For Additional Information
Please visit: http://medicaid.ohio.gov/FOROHIOANS/WhoQualifies.aspx