8.03 – Recreation Services
The purpose of recreational services is to give each individual the opportunity to participate in the most meaningful recreational and leisure time experiences possible. These experiences will satisfy their personal needs and interests as outlined in their person-centered plan. The recreation services will also promote community integration and inclusion.
- All individuals, regardless of disability, shall utilize the major portion of the day out of bed and away from the sleeping quarters.
- All attempts shall be made to maintain the mobility of each individual.
- Appropriate materials and equipment will be used to stimulate an individual and highlight potential activities.
- Weekly planned activities and exercise programs will be implemented for each individual/apartment by the Recreation staff/designee.
- Outdoor activities will be scheduled seasonally with the consideration of the individual’s physical health or unless contraindicated by the physician.
- Prioritize community integration and experiences based on each individual’s preferences and interests in the person centered plan.
- Community resources and recreational agencies will be utilized to better serve individuals.
- When appropriate, coordinate activities according to the individual’s interests and preferences outlined in the person centered plan.
- It is the responsibility of the Recreation staff/designee to provide guidance to the Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) during recreational activities, both on and off facility grounds.
- The Recreation staff/designee will also provide activities, recreational supplies and equipment to the location staff.
- The following list identifies the types of activities that will be offered through the recreation program:
- Games and sports: Low organization (ex. Nerf, ping pong) or high organization (ex. Special Olympics)
- Arts, crafts, hobbies
- Special Events: Field trips, parties, talent shows, banquets, holiday/seasonal programs, dances
The Recreation Staff/designee will be an active member of the Interdisciplinary Team. Responsibilities include writing and implementing the following form:
- Community Inclusion Recreation Assessment
Last Revised: 9/13/21