7.09.04 Open Door Art Studio & Gallery – Emergency Medical Procedures
The individuals and staff of Open Door Art Studio & Gallery will have access to Emergency Medical Services 24 hours a day.
The Fire Department will provide emergency medical care for all individuals and staff:
- When a medical emergency exists, i.e., cessation of breathing, or the individual is unresponsive:
- CHECK SCENE – safety, access, check for signs of life
- CALL 9-1-1
- Provide the Dispatcher with the following information
- Type of emergency
- Apartment number
- CARE – provide necessary medical care to the level of your training
- Call the Incident Hotline and the nurse on call
- When the squad arrives, provide them with the following information:
- Condition and time the individual was found to be having medical problems
- Vital signs, if taken
- Activity the individual was involved in prior to the medical emergency
- Client Emergency report with medication orders (nurse may fax report to hospital)
- If the resident is to be transported to the hospital:
- Staff on duty will complete the necessary paperwork
- When possible, a staff person will accompany the resident to the hospital
- Staff on duty will notify the Incident Hotline and Nurse on-call.
- The incident hotline will notify the guardian.
- If an individual/staff person is to be transported to the nearest hospital, the nurse on-call will provide the necessary report including medical information and medications to the hospital directly.
- In the event of the death of an individual:
- Call 9-1-1
- Provide the dispatcher with the following information
- Type of emergency
- Contact the nurse on duty
- The emergency squad will notify the local Police Department
- The Medical Services Coordinator and Shift Nurse will contact the Medical Director, Executive Director, Services Director, Franklin County Case Management, Social Worker, Chaplin, and guardian when appropriate.
- The Police Department will determine when the body can be removed and will make arrangements for transportation.
- An autopsy may be requested by a family member, legal guardian, Medical Director, or in the event of a death due to unnatural causes, by the Franklin County Coroner
- When the individual expires at a hospital, the autopsy will be performed by a physician who has no conflict of interest or loyalty to Open Door.
- When an individual expires at Open Door, and an autopsy has been requested, by family, guardian, or legal authorities, it will be performed by the Franklin County Coroner’s office.
Rebecca Sharp Porter
Chief Executive Director
Last Revised: 10/9/23