7.02.1.01 – Fire Watch Procedure
This plan of action should be followed in the event the fire alarm system and/or the sprinkler system fails to provide continuous facility-wide fire detection and alarm capabilities. The fire alarm system could include, but is not limited to: fire alarm panels, smoke or heat detection systems, sprinkler systems, and fire department notification systems.
Fire Watch Procedures are available in writing in each apartment and comprehended by training of all facility staff.
Facility staff are trained in Rescue, Alarm, Contain, and Extinguish/Evacuate (RACE) and the implementation of a facility-wide fire watch.
Each tour is recorded with findings noting the date time and staff initials. A fire watch tour is a periodic walking tour of the entire facility by one or more assigned and trained staff. The staff responsible for the tour will monitor the facility through direct observation of all rooms for possible signs of fire. Records of fire drills will be maintained in the CEO’s office.
Fire alarm systems and sprinkler system outages can occur during construction, maintenance, renovation, electrical storms, or other unplanned events, which eliminate part or, all of the fire alarm system.
- Contact the Director of Operational Support and the maintenance on-call staff when any problems are encountered with the fire alarm system
- The maintenance on-call staff will contact the fire alarm company and/or the sprinkler system company. The fire alarm company and/or the sprinkler system company shall be on site or on contract until the system is repaired, replaced, or reinitialized and working.
- The maintenance on-call staff will notify the fire department (614-279-6373) that the fire alarm system is not working properly.
- If the alarm system is inoperable for a time period of four (4) hours or more, the Director of Operational Support or designee will inform the Executive Director who will notify the Ohio Department of Health District office at 614-466-5357.
- The apartment staff on duty will monitor each of their apartments. The assigned staff person will have no other assignments during the outage period
- Fire watch tours shall occur at ¼ hour intervals, 24 hours a day.
Rebecca Sharp Porter
Chief Executive Director
Last Revised: 10/4/23