5.05 – Individual Involvement in Medical Care
Open Door strives to have a person-centered approach to services. All Open Door departments are responsible to ensure that the individual participates at their highest potential with all medical decisions and care according to their individual plan.
This includes Open Door responsibility to:
- Fully inform individual of their health and medical condition unless physician, guardian, or team decides that informing them is medically contraindicated.
- Allow individuals the opportunity to participate in planning of their total care and treatment options.
- Respect the individual’s right to refuse any order or treatment. (All staff must properly document and communicate refusals to IPP team)
- Provide access to medical documentation with proper signed releases to individual, guardian, or other advocate.
- Provide informed and obtain written consent before participation in experimental research.
- Follow regulations regarding written consent for psychotropic medications, hospitalizations, and treatments as per policy
Last Revised: 6/6/22