4.36-Station MD Telehealth- Waiver Services SCL
Open Door Station MD Policy and Procedure (revised 12/29/2022)
What is Station MD
Station MD is a telehealth service used in treatment of individuals with an intellectual disability to treat minor medical conditions. These visits are to replace unnecessary urgent care or emergency room visits. They do not replace the individual’s primary care physician.
When to use Station MD
- Abdominal pain/cramps
- Acid reflux
- Acute onset edema (swelling)
- Arthritis/joint pain and swelling
- Change in mental status
- Chest pain without classic heart attack signs
- Choking incidents
- Concerning vital signs
- Earaches or drainage
- Eye infection/irritation
- Infections-laryngitis, bronchitis, sinusitis
- Medication errors
- Menstrual issues
- Minor allergic reactions
- Minor behavioral health issues (anxiety, agitation)
- Minor cuts/scrapes
- Minor skin injuries i.e. rash, bug bites, irritations
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
- Need for new or change in medication
- New onset immobility/vertigo
- New or worsening pressure sores
- Prescription refills
- Sore throat
- Urinary tract infection symptoms/catheter issues
- Any concern noted by direct care staff or HSC nurse
Prescription refills should only be done on a temporary basis. Refills should only be given until the individual can be seen by the prescribing physician. Please notify the HSC nurse for refill issues.
How to use Station MD
NOTE: Please notify SCL nursing and Incident Hotline when using this service so that proper follow-up can be completed.
- Call 1-877-782-8637 (if no answer, leave a message with a callback number and somebody will get back with you within 15 minutes). When you are ready to start the visit open the app on the device in the home. (All homes should have the app on the devices in the home).
- Once called, the navigator with Station MD will help you to connect the device. They will ask you to confirm your fax number, current list of medications and allergies, and pharmacy name and zip code (Pharmacy: Crosby’s Zip code: 43202).
- The first time using the device you will need to agree to the terms and conditions in using Station MD.
- The next screen will ask for the patient’s name and then the doctor will join the visit. The physician will ask all necessary questions. Please give the doctor the log information to Brittco. The physician will guide the visit and give you instructions on what needs to be done to complete the visit. Please follow the instructions by the physicians as you may need to pick up medication at an outlying pharmacy if it is after hours.
- Summary of the visit will be faxed and email to all pertinent personnel. Also, a summary of the visit may be documented in Brittco.
Station MD and HealthCo
Knowing when to use Station MD may be confusing. Again, Station MD should be used instead of an urgent care. If at anytime you are confused over what medical treatment an individual should receive, please call the on-call phone and the on-call nurse will guide you on how to proceed. If it is a true medical emergency (i.e. signs of a heart attack, serious injury or accident) please call 911 first and then contact HealthCo.
Not all individuals with Open Door are enrolled in the Station MD program so if you work at different sites, only those sites that have the paperwork regarding Station MD will be able to access the telehealth appointments.
When to contact the on-call HealthCo nurse as it pertains to Station MD
- Questions on when to use Station MD
- If Station MD requests to speak to the on-call nurse
- If Station MD was used to temporarily refill medications, please let the nurse know so that the status of refills can be determined
- If Station MD refers the individual to the emergency department after their visit for further medical treatment
- Any medical emergency where 911 was called instead of Station MD
- If you are unable to get a hold of Station MD
Please note that the summary of your visit with Station MD will be sent directly to HealthCo nursing so you will not need to provide nursing with a summary of the visit. Also, nursing will not be able to assist with technical issues however the navigator with Station MD will assist with making sure you are connected properly. If there are issues with your internet connection at the home, please contact Open Door.