4.19 SCL – Individual Vacation Procedures
The purpose of the annual vacation is to provide each individual with experiences that are over and above usual community outings and promote:
- Fun away from the routine
- Rest and relaxation
- Visiting places of interest
- Opportunities to develop deeper personal relationships with friends and associates
- Opportunities to visit their “roots” (hometown, family or friends)
- New and different aspects of community living
It is understood that all vacation plans require detailed proposal with input from all participants and that the scheduled activities take into account the personal interests of each individual. Individuals must have expressed specific interest for the proposed vacation and must have as clear an understanding as possible of all conditions and financial arrangements involved in the trip. Each individual should sign the last page of the vacation proposal after agreeing with the details of the trip.
- Each vacation proposal should be discussed and recommended in the individual’s individual ISP meeting (in advance).
- Vacation proposals involving overnight travel must be submitted to the assigned Open Door personnel for review at least four (4) weeks in advance to allow for reservations, tickets and/or deposits to be made. The Open Door Finance Director and Payee must review the pre-vacation approval form before the Vacation packet can be completed and finalized.
Review and Approval
The vacation proposal is reviewed and approved by the IPP team of the following individuals:
- Case Manager/Program Coordinator – to review compliance with IPP team discussion
- Scheduling – to review Direct Support Professionals and individual staffing ratios
- Representative from nursing/Designee – to review medical concerns
- Payee Representative – financial considerations.
- Transportation Coordinator – review vehicle resources
- Vacation Planner – to coordinate communications and planning arrangements between Direct Support Professionals and individuals traveling
The vacation proposal will include a detailed description of each of the following:
- Purpose of the vacation
- Dates/Days of week
- List of Travelers
- Description of costs, the individual participants, including the expenses for Direct Support Professionals/volunteers who accompany them, will pay for all overnight-lodging arrangements. The facility credit card will be utilized to reserve the rooms needed. All participants will reimburse this arrangement by signing the last page of the vacation proposal.
- Food and Beverage
- Vehicle and Travel Expenses
- Activity Expenses
- All special events, recreational, entry fee and miscellaneous expenses will be paid for by each participant.
- Medical/Dietary Considerations
- Any medical or dietary needs of the travelers must be taken into account when planning the vacations. The person making the proposal should describe the provisions that will be made for special needs.
- Employee Schedules and Time Sheet Instructions
- Schedule of Events and Activities
- A planned schedule of events on a sheet of paper should be attached to the vacation proposal as an outline in the itinerary.
- Total Cost to the Individual
Last Revised: 8/25/21