4.07 SCL – Coverage Procedures/Preferred Staffing
Open Door is responsible to provide staffing according to the individual’s service plan and authorization of services. This requires constant monitoring and availability of scheduling staff to find coverage 24 hours per day/7 days per week.
The process for pre-scheduling at waiver locations is listed below:
- The finance department must review any new authorization and staffing plan provided by the County Board. This staffing plan must be entered into master schedule template for the location.
- The Medicaid Revenue Coordinator assigned to pre-scheduling is responsible to reflect any staff changes, requests for time off, or individual appointment/event needs on Master Schedules in Advisor weekly.
- A needs list is developed which outlines the “open shifts” from staff changes, requests for time off, or changes in individual needs. Staff then pick up shifts from needs list weekly via SLING electronically with approval from the Scheduling Coordinator.
Once the schedule and needs list is filled:
- All schedules are posted in Advisor Anywhere where all staff can view schedules through the app at any time.
- All staff must notify scheduling phone of any call-offs or other scheduling changes.
The scheduling phone personnel use the following procedures to find coverage:
- Review preferred staffing list, review “Do Not Return” list, any special training needs of the location FIRST
- Staff are then contacted that are considered preferred FIRST: part-time, those not working 40 hours yet, and then the regular staff are offered overtime.
- If no one on preferred or regular staffing lists are available, all staff trained for this location and working for Open Door will be called to inquire about covering shift.
- Any pulls of staff to another location, must be pre-approved by Program Supervisor and logged.
- As a last resort, the Program Coordinator or another administrative staff may have to fill the shift.
If changes are needed in an individual’s schedule/authorization, the Program Coordinator is responsible for requesting an addendum to address needs, changes, and provides proper documentation to support the increased need for staffing. The Finance Director must approve any additional staffing and is the only one permitted to sign agreement pages for authorizations to change staffing plans.
Last Revised: 8/25/21